Are you a mission-driven user experience designer and leader who wants to help people make things better?
The LUMA User Experience (UX) Design Director is an integral member of the LUMA Platform leadership team and will oversee and manage the UX design experience of LUMA Institute. The UX Design Director will manage a multi-disciplinary team who cares deeply about the people who use LUMA’s products and systems. You are a thoughtful team leader, manager, systems-level design thinker, and visionary – with strong instincts and outstanding intuition informed by user needs and insights. You’ll be responsible for guiding the careers of your team members, working closely with each of them to help them realize their full potential.
The UX Design Director is a fierce advocate for the people who use our products, building on LUMA’s 2.0 Strategy of the “future of work.” You have a practiced eye for effective design, and are committed to creating elegantly simple user experiences from otherwise complex workflows.
In this role, you’ll take the time to understand not just the execution side of UX, but also the business aspects of the products we build. You’ll collaborate with leaders across LUMA teams to create innovative experiences for all of LUMA’s products, leveraging your passion for brand, craft, and design quality.
Human-centered design is at the core of how we create innovative, intuitive, and beautiful user experiences. At LUMA, we strive to observe and understand the needs, behaviors, and emotions of our customers, and use these insights to inform our design decisions. Our UX teams include internal and external designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work collaboratively with cross-functional teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ and platforms’ unique capabilities and personalities.
LUMA is an all-remote company that is based in Pittsburgh, PA, boasting a global team of remote workers.
What will I do?
- Partner with cross-functional stakeholders and senior leaders to create a design vision and strategy aligned with business needs and financial goals.
- Provide leadership, direction, and mentorship for a team of internal and external UX Designers.
- Lead creative and holistic thinking across diverse product releases, platforms, and systems.
- Deliver a UX vision and roadmap, along with a plan for evolutionary, iterative updates that actualize the larger vision over time.
- Build strong relationships and operating rhythms with leaders to efficiently implement user experiences that are cohesive, inclusive, and well-informed.
- Foster LUMA’s culture and principles, while setting new UX design standards in executional and operational excellence.
- Impart day-to-day design leadership that imbues a shared understanding of the user-centric intersection between design, content, business, and engineering.
- Create and oversee the creation of effective documentation and communication of design through wireframes, mockups, service blueprints, digital prototypes, service staging, business requirements, and user interface (UI/UX) components. Coordinate these efforts across all design disciplines.
- Support the Design team in producing learner-centric, results-focused learning experiences, applications, products, and services.
- Be a strong advocate for the Voice of the Customer using a human-centered approach.
- Ensure consistent brand expression and content for internal and external communication, regardless of channel.
- Oversee an overall product and service roadmap, including but not limited to:
- Translate customer needs and priorities into measurable projects.
- Define project requirements including time, resources, and staff estimates.
- Recognize, manage, and reduce scope creep.
- Embrace experimentation and design constraints.
- Utilize and improve Agile methodologies and tools (Trello, Jira, etc.) to manage the design backlog and coordinate work with other teams.
What experience, skills and qualities would be ideal?
- Minimum 10 years of UX design and leadership experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in human-computer interaction, interaction design, UX design, website design, design thinking, or related field.
- Proven experience designing software-as-a-service (SaaS) products, eCommerce, mobile apps, or other complex service experiences.
- Fluency with and command of collaborative, remote work.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and ability to advance our values-driven culture.
- Ability to launch product designs on a regular basis.
- Experience with human-centered design, Agile methodologies, the Double Diamond design approach, and Design Sprints.
- Knowledge in using and growing design systems.
- Experience with statistical/qualitative/quantitative analysis preferred.
- Experience designing, executing, and evaluating usability tests and user research sessions.
- Ability to engage closely with the Engineering team to lead design reviews and determine the best technical implementation methods and schedule.
- Experience in a fast-paced, agile, startup-like environment.
- Experience working with Apple/Mac/iOS devices/operating systems; Adobe Creative Suite; prototyping software such as Sketch and InVision; and digital whiteboard tools such as MURAL, Klaxoon and Miro.
What other attributes might help me stand out?
- Understanding of design as a problem-solving methodology (a.k.a. design thinking).
- Understanding of human-centered design methods and techniques.
- Experience working in a global business environment.
At LUMA, we take care of our team and reward them with competitive salaries, generous benefits, and great perks.
How to apply
To apply, please visit our application page to complete the form and upload your resume and cover letter. This position requires excellent writing skills; your cover letter and resume are very good opportunities to demonstrate your abilities.
About LUMA Institute
LUMA Institute is the only company in the world dedicated fully – and solely – to empowering individuals, teams, and organization to innovate by transforming the way they work. Leading organizations around the globe rely on the LUMA System of Innovation – a unique and scalable system of Human-centered Design.
We offer custom innovation programs for large organizations, acclaimed public workshops in cities worldwide, and a unique digital platform, LUMA Workplace, used by innovators in more than 70 countries on six continents. We work with organizations of all types, sizes, and sectors – business, government, non-profit and education. LUMA’s vision is simple – to be a catalyst that empowers people to innovate, everywhere, so they can make things better.
As a company built on human-centered beliefs and values, we view diversity, equity, and inclusion as sources of strength and inspiration. We are committed to attracting, retaining, and supporting a workforce that reflects the world around us. We believe that nurturing a diverse, multicultural, and welcoming environment helps each of us bring our unique backgrounds, skills, and experiences to the work we do as a team, and to the products, services, and experiences we offer our clients around the world.
LUMA Institute is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. For each job opportunity at LUMA, we consider all qualified job candidates without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We look forward to receiving your application.
The “EEO is the Law” poster, prepared by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), summarizes these laws and explains how an employee or applicant can file a complaint if s/he believes that s/he has been the victim of discrimination. EEOC’s poster is available in English, Arabic, Chinese and Spanish.
To view the “EEO is the Law” poster, visit this page.