LUMA Institute empowers people to innovate by transforming the way they work through a unique framework for human-centered design we invented called the LUMA System. LUMA supports leading organizations around the globe to use the LUMA System and equip individuals, teams, and their entire organizations to be creative, collaborative problem solvers through our world-class learning programs and our digital platform, LUMA Workplace.
As a company built on human-centered beliefs and values, we view diversity, equity, and inclusion as sources of strength and inspiration. Our aspiration is to equip 1 million people in the next 5 years to be confident and capable designers doing their best, most inspiring work. Join us! Let’s make things better, together.
LUMA is currently seeking a People Generalist to support the continued growth and development of the company.
The People Experience and Culture Team at LUMA is charged with supporting the operational framework for employee experience, talent acquisition, compliance and benefit administration that align with the Company’s Mission, Beliefs and Values.
Human-centered design (HCD) is at the core of how we work at LUMA — and a fundamental principle of HCD is focusing on the people . We strive to maintain an engaging, supportive, inclusive and collaborative work environment – always putting our employees first.
Why you should join LUMA
- Are you someone who wants to make things better?
- Do you love creating well-designed experiences for others?
- Want to learn the most practical, flexible, and versatile approach to innovation in the world?
- How do you feel about working remotely, receiving a monthly stipend to maintain your home office, and having your healthcare benefits fully covered by your employer?
If this resonates with you, we want you to be part of our team!
How you will contribute
- Sourcing, ad placement, coordinating interviews, and hiring of qualified job applicants for open positions.
- Ensure that priority staffing roles are met and that the onboarding, new employee orientation, and training are expedited.
- Support administrative requests as it pertains to compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations (i.e. AAP, FLSA, FMLA, ADA, ADEA, Title VII, and more).
- Track and document compliance with mandatory and non-mandatory training, continuing education, and work assessments. This may include safety training, anti-harassment training, DEI training, leadership training, etc.
- Onboarding Administration & Facilitation: Creation of offer letters as well as serve as the first point of contact for our New Hires, focusing on a best in class onboarding experience for all hires.
- Off-boarding Administration & Facilitation: Prepare exit packets for terminating employees and conduct exit interviews.
- HRIS Management: You will be responsible for ensuring the data integrity of our HRIS system, as well as the file organization and management of employee related files.
- Respond thoughtfully to employee questions concerning policies, procedures, and programs within twenty-four (24) hours.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
What you need
- 3-5 years in the role as an HR coordinator and/or generalist with recruiting experience.
- Strong talent management, organizational and communication skills.
- Strong verbal, written, and public speaking communication skills.
- Assist in driving diversity, equity and inclusion as it relates to recruiting and retention.
- Ability to maintain high integrity and confidentiality of company and department information.
- Value diversity and treats others respectfully and equitably.
- Adept at learning new software systems.
- Familiarity with Leave of Absence processes/procedures.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment while keeping a keen attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s degree in HR or applicable degree or equivalent lived experience.
- SHRM or HRCI certification a plus.
- Ability to work Monday–Friday, daylight hours (may need to work outside core operating hours as requested).
We recognize that you might not meet all of these expectations and that’s okay. We’d love to hear from you anyway!
Things that might help
- Understanding of human-centered design.
- Breadth of human resources experience across multiple functions.
- PHR and/or SHRM-CP certification preferred.
- Experience working in a global business environment.
What we offer
- Training and development: All new employees enroll in LUMA’s human-centered design practitioner program to become a certified user of LUMA’s System of Innovation.
- Work where you live: We’re a fully remote, internationally distributed workforce!
- Learn virtual collaboration tools: We use MURAL, Miro, and other digital whiteboarding tools to work and collaborate virtually.
- Make things better by contributing to LUMA’s mission of sharing design literacy with the world!
Salary and benefits
At LUMA, we take care of our team and reward them with competitive salaries and great benefits. We offer full medical coverage to employees and their families, generous paid time off (PTO), dedicated PTO to volunteer with a cause of your choice, flexible work schedules, employee-directed financial donations to charitable organizations, and more!
About LUMA Institute
LUMA Institute was created around a clear purpose: to empower everyone to make things better. LUMA is dedicated to helping individuals, teams, and organizations innovate by transforming the way they work. Leading organizations around the globe rely on the “LUMA System of Innovation,” a unique and scalable system of human-centered design. We have reached innovators in more than 70 countries on six continents through our custom innovation programs for large organizations, public workshops that are open to all, and our digital platform, LUMA Workplace. We work with organizations of all types, sizes, and sectors – business, government, nonprofit, and education. Let’s make things better, together.
As a company built on human-centered beliefs and values, we view diversity, equity, and inclusion as sources of strength and inspiration. We are committed to attracting, retaining, and supporting a workforce that reflects the world around us. We believe that nurturing a diverse, multicultural, and welcoming environment helps each of us bring our unique backgrounds, skills, and experiences to the work we do as a team, and to the products, services, and experiences we offer our clients around the world.
LUMA Institute is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. For each job opportunity at LUMA, we consider all qualified job candidates without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We look forward to receiving your application.
EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability – The “EEO is the Law” poster, prepared by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), summarizes these laws and explains how an employee or applicant can file a complaint if s/he believes that s/he has been the victim of discrimination.
EEOC’s poster is available in English, Arabic, Chinese and Spanish. View the “EEO is the Law” poster: https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf